Today's proof that we live in the end of days is outsourced Paul Krugman ...
ZIRP!
That’s zero interest rate policy. And it has arrived. America has turned Japanese.
This is the thing I’ve been afraid of ever since I realized that Japan really was in the dreaded, possibly mythical liquidity trap. You can read my 1998 Brookings Paper on the issue here.
Incidentally, there were a bunch of us at Princeton worrying about the Japan problem in the early years of this decade. I was one; Lars Svensson, currently at Sweden’s Riksbank, was another; a third was a guy named Ben Bernanke. I wonder whatever happened to him?
Seriously, we are in very deep trouble. Getting out of this will require a lot of creativity, and maybe some luck too.
2 comments:
FYI: They're having a book club over at TPM on Krugman's revised and re-released book "Return to Depression Economics". Guest stars over there include my BEFF (best economist friend forever) Robert Reich, meg's BEFF Dean Baker, Krugman himself, et al.
http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/tpmcafe-book-club/
JQ-
Great post
Post a Comment